For more tips on spotting constipation symptoms, constipation relief and making sure it doesn’t come back, take a look at our factsheet: Advice for Children with Constipation.
This factsheet is also available in Polish. Porady Dla Dzieci Cierpiących Na Zaparcia.
How can I prevent my child from becoming constipated again?
Once your child's constipation has been dealt with, it's important to stop it coming back.
Here are some ways to do this:
- Make sure they have at least 6-8 water based drinks every day
- Include fruit and vegetables in their diet
- Encourage them to follow a regular toilet routine: sitting on the toilet or potty after every meal and using a footstool to support their feet
- Give them plenty of opportunities to exercise and move around
- Don’t stop giving laxatives too early
NHS England videos about constipation in children
Watch a series of five short videos recorded by ERIC Nurse, Brenda Cheer for NHS England. They give an overview of constipation in children, the symptoms, treatment, using macrogol laxatives and keeping bowels healthy.
The remaining videos can be found in the videos tab of the resource box below this first introduction to constipation video.